Tuesday 20 November 2012

A little about me...

My name is Oliver Gerrish and I am a professional singer and an architectural historian. Architecture and music have been my life since as early as I can remember. I used to be pushed in my pram around Regents Park as a three year old and remember the impression to this day that the great terraces by Nash gave me. Once I visited Bath as an 8 year old and got home and the babysitter had a fit because I had made a mini-Bath on the floor of the Drawing Room out of paper and card...my Mother thought it was 'wonderful' and I was very relieved I wasn't in trouble for making such a mess!!

Me on a roof in Marylebone

While at school I got obsessed by Victorian gothic architecture and did a thesis about George Gilbert Scott, with particular reference to our chapel. From there I got a choral scholarship to Lichfield Cathedral and had the delight of being able to run riot in a great Mediaeval cathedral, which was such a thrill after having read so much about them. After Lichfield I won a place to study singing Countertenor at The Guildhall School of Music and Drama and while there I set up The Young Georgians, the under 35 (as I am now just over 30!) wing of the Georgian Group.

Young Georgians at Bishton Hall, Staffordshire

It is now the tenth year of the Young Georgians and since starting it I have taken trips to houses, churches, factories, field barns...you name it, and there have been too many fun times to remember.

Young Georgians at Island Hall, Godmanchester

In this blog I will be chronicling these trips and my mad musical/building obsessed life in general.

Sophie Edmonds and I have also started 'Georgian Townhouse Parties', so keep an eye out for those too...!

Georgian Hosts with the Most...Self and Sophie Edmonds



Self waiting to go on...!

For more information on The Georgian Group please see:-
www.georgiangroup.org.uk
and on me:-
www.yellowpoppymedia.com





All images in this blog are under the copyright ownership of Oliver Gerrish

No comments:

Post a Comment